Monday, May 17, 2010

Serving Tray Build

I built another serving tray, this one is going to be green - the "Bay Berry Green" milk paint.

I transferred the curve of the handle using the template to the 1x4 side board, just flip the template to draw the curve on the right-hand side of the board - I also clearly marked the center of the .75" hole for the dowel.
I checked to make sure the drill bit was the right size for the dowel.
I drilled the hole before I cut out the curve of the handle. I put a piece of scrap wood under the board so the exit hole will be nice and clean, no tear out.

I used a jig saw to cut out the curve of the handle.

I then attached the end boards to the tray using glue and 1.25" nails. I nailed the ends of the board flush with the sides of the tray.
I then glued the dowels into the side boards - this did not go so smoothly as the dowels fit too tightly in the hole and when I tried to force them in the handle broke. Pine is a soft wood and this can happen. I should have used sandpaper to make the dowels a little smaller, or the hole a little bigger to get a nice tight fit, but not so tight the wood breaks!


It was nothing some glue, one nail and some clamping pressure could not fix. Remember that a nice tight glued joint will actually be stronger than the wood around it.

I then used glue and nails to attach the sides to the serving tray. I added clamping pressure, mostly because I have a few clamps. If there is a good fit, the glue and nails will be enough, without using the clamps.

I intentionally cut the dowels a little long. It is easier to make the dowel shorter after the glue dries than to make it longer ;-)

I did a lot of sanding and then added a coat of Bay Berry Green milk paint from General Finishes.

In my next post I will distress and add glaze to finish this project.









No comments:

Post a Comment