Sunday, May 9, 2010

Twin Plank Headboard

My most recent project was a headboard for my teenage son's bedroom. The headboard is based on plans from knockoffwood.com - an amazing site with keep-it-simple woodworking plans for amazing furniture. Here is the link to the plans:

http://www.knock-offwood.com/2010/03/plans-reclaimed-wood-headboard-full-and.html

These plans are based on very expensive ($699-$799) Mason headboard at Pottery Barn:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/mason-headboard/?pkey=x%7C4%7C1%7C%7C10%7Crustic%20headboard%7C%7C0&cm_src=SCH

The project was fairly easy following the plans and probably cost about $75 - one-tenth of the Pottery Barn headboard.
The wood was very basic dimensional lumber from Home Depot. It was put together using wood glue and a nail gun. Most of my projects have been smaller and I was surprised at how many nails I had to use - I think I reloaded the nail gun twice during this project. When I bought a large box of the nails, I thought it was a lifetime supply, but if I keep building projects on this scale, it might only last a month or so!
The finish we used was oil-based dark walnut - two coats, one coat of Poly-shades dark walnut and one coat of polyacrylic in a satin finish. I am using "we" on this build because my wife is the creative/design consultant and has a lot of input, particularly on the stain and finish.

I did some distressing of the wood before we applied the finish - I banged on the wood with a hammer, chisel, file, awl, pretty much everything in the toolbox. At first it was difficult to start beating up a beautiful wood headboard that I had so carefully and lovingly put together, but then I realized the distressing is just part of the creative process and after I saw how the stain accentuated the distressing marks, I wish I had done some more!

Now I need to make another one to match for the other bed in the room.

Here is a closer view of the headboard:


Here is a link to my Flickr images that show some of my other projects:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48543689@N07/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maxine here, i have decided to start promoting some woodworking plans and i want some honest opinions from professional woodworking people, can you tell if the well known site wood4home's plans are worth while promoting or not? Genuinely need to know weather im wasting my time or not. Many Thanks Maxine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Did you also use primer and "wood conditioner" per instructions? Also did you use a rag or brush for finishes?
    Thanks! This is a beautiful headboard!

    ReplyDelete